Garden Statuary & Fossil Decoration
by Summers Place Auctions Ltd132 lots | 131 with images
Viewing Notes19th, 20th, 21st & 22nd September 10am to 4pm. Day of sale from 10am.
Sale NotesPlease note Buyers Premium applies to first £10,000 at 25% then £10,001 to £250,000 at 20% and then 12% thereafter.
Please note there are Special VAT terms for some lots in this sale, Contact auction house for Full Terms & Conditions. www.invaluable.com/summersplaceauctions
Description: A rare Coalbrookdale cast iron entranceway late 19th century comprising a pair of gates beneath a lantern the lock plate stamped Coalbrookdale 308cm.; 121ins high overall by 154cm.; 61ins wideView additional info »
Description: A substantial Edwardian copper framed hanging lantern early 20th century 122cm.; 48ins highView additional info »
Description: A similar smaller Edwardian copper lantern 94cm.; 37ins highView additional info »
Description: An Egyptian Old Kingdom style carved limestone relief fragment on bronze base 53cm.; 21ins highView additional info »
Description: An extremely rare Coadestone torso of the Indian goddess Soraya early 19th century 108cm.; 42½ins high by 95cm.; 37ins wide This rare Coade stone relief is identical to one at Sezincote Gloucestershire. Unusually the house was built in the Indian Mogul style by Charles Cockerel who had served in the East India Company and was created a baronet in 1809. He employed his brother Samuel Pepys Cockerel as the architect. The Coade manufactory also supplied models of Bulls and Elephants of which the bulls and the plaque remain. A stream meanders through the grounds and where it begins as a spring the water has been dammed into a pool at the back of which rise steps to a high relief panel depicting the Indian sun goddess Suraya in a niche. Thomas Daniell the topographical artist who specialised in Indian scenes helped Cockerel with the house and could have provided the design for Suraya. Sir Charles was given an estimate of £27 in November 1813 by Coade for a fountain which is almost certainly the Suraya panel. What is unclear is why a second example was made although it is likely that a client having seen the original at Sezincote commissioned Coade to make another. Eleanor Coade (d.1821) opened her Lambeth Manufactory for ceramic artificial stone in 1769 and appointed the sculptor John Bacon as its manager two years later. She was employed by all the leading late 18th Century architects. From about 1777 she began her engraved designs which were published in 1784 in a catalogue of over 700 items entitled A Descriptive Catalogue of Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory. Then in 1799 the year she entered into partnership with her cousin John Sealy she issued a handbook of her Pedlar's Lane exhibition Gallery. The firm became Coade and Sealey from this date and following Sealey's death in 1813 it reverted to Coade and in 1821 with the death of the younger Eleanor Coade control of the firm passed to William Croggan who died in 1835 following bankruptcy. Coade's manufactures resembling a fine-grained natural stone have always been famed for their durability. Literature: Mrs Coade's Stone by Alison Kelly SPA 1990 pages 127 134 206 and 263View additional info »